Tuesday, May 19, 2020

One Man's Trash (can) Is Another Man's Treasure - 1971 49ers TRASH CAN

 I was 12 years old in 1971 living in Woodburn, Oregon and was fully enthralled with 49ers and had some of my favorite players, even though I could only see fuzzy visions of their names on their jersey's and helmet covered faces.  We didn't have HD TV's, in fact the only way to see our TV was to move the rabbit ears every few minutes to see clearly for 2-3 minutes at a time.  So when there were articles of the 49ers in our local Oregonian paper, I could see close ups of the players faces and felt a better connection was made with my team.

In 1971 the NFL made a promotional move in  the true spirit of connecting fans with their team and chasing the almighty buck, they decided that it was a great idea to distribute NFL Team Trash Cans.  And why not; every fan has, at one point in time, had thoughts of their team stinking it up or yelling at the top of their lungs that their team was "nothing but trash".  I mean, sure this way your team can become synonymous with trash.
1971 NFL Players Association Trash Can

The 49er's in 1971 were not even close to trash, in fact they were playing the Cowboys for the NFC Championship. Unfortunately, they fell short and the Cowboys went off to the Superbowl. But, the 49ers weren't trash.  All of this to say, when I had the opportunity, I had to get a NFL - 49er's Trash Can to add to my collection.
The 1971 49ers Trash Can
Having pictures of the entire team was priceless to me.  Not all of them had football cards I could see their faces on, so this trash can was the 2nd best way to see the players.
The 1971 49ers Trash Can - The Offense
Oh, Look my Hero John Brodie with his favorite receiver Gene Washington on the Offense side of the trash can.

The 1971 49ers Trash Can - The Defense
Players of the Defense were even highlighted...how great.

The 1971 49ers Trash Can - Goal Post Seam
They didn't forget any of the marquee players, but what about the Coaches?

I guess they didn't have a Walsh, Mariucci, Harbaugh or even a Shanahan that they felt they should highlight with the Offensive or Defensive starters.  But at least I could see the players as I try my hook shot with my baseball card wrappers.. um Football Card wrappers.  

Truly, this is a unique and fun trash can that is in the true circa 1970's styling.  GO NINERS ! ! !

No comments: