Tuesday, March 17, 2020

TOYS WILL BE TOYS


49er Promo Toys from the 60's, 70's and the 80's
As an avid collector of 49ers (or any team folks like a lot), you see the odd, the strange, wierd or 1 off items and say to yourself..."I've got to get me on of those".  I'm caught saying that a lot.  I've seen these types of Promotional Toys from the 60's, 70's and the 80's and I thought I'd highlight a few of the ODD BALL things I've collected.

1967 Gund Promo Running Backs

1967's must have been a bustling time at the Gund Creations Manufacturing in Brooklyn, NY.  I have several odd ball 49ers Promo items from 1967, all Gund.  I have the larger Gund manufactured dolls, but one of the rarer items is the 49ers Wind-up Running Back.
1967 49ers Gund Wind-up Running Back Toy
This pudgy #47 running back couldn't make it onto the team today, especially because he doesn't run, he waddles around carrying the ball. He's old and the helmet logos which have faded on one side and barely staying put on the other side of his helmet are the proof of the age of this "ageless beauty'

1967 Gund 49ers Promo Blowup Running Back

Another quality Gund product from the 1967 promotional items is the rare plastic blowup toy of a 49ers running back...Hmmm, I think there's a theme going on here.
1967 Gund 49ers Promotional Blowup Running Back
This blowup promotional toy is rare and pretty awesome.  My only wish is that I had one that wasn't damaged.  Even though a large portion of his thigh got ripped up,  he's still a fine specimen of Gund products during the 1960's.

1970's IHOP 49ers Helmet

As a kid, I always loved staring aimlessly at the gum ball machines and the trinket type toy machines right next to them.  I remember the plastic helmets in those vending machines, and always wanting the 49ers to roll out, but to no avail.  That is until IHOP...
1970's IHOP Plastic 49ers Vending Machine Helmet
In the 1970's International House Of Pancakes (IHOP) came out  with promotional plastic helmets for every NFL team.  Kids would pull them out of the plastic bag and play with them while eating their pancakes and syrup. By the end of the meal the parents would hide the sticky treasure and sneak away to throw them away. So, an IHOP helmet in perfect, unopened, non-sticky mess is truly a rare find for sure.  I loved collecting things like this, thus... I still have one unopened... all for the love of the game (and the team).

1982 Hilco House 49ers Whomp*It! Puppet 

I actually have 2 of these little guys, one out of his box, while his twin is locked away permanently for a lifetime in his original box.  I love the promotional aspect to this toy. He's interactive and has the team flag as an incentive to have him fly the flag, you've got to get your fingers just right to have him release his excitement  (and 49ers pennant) for all to see. 
1982 Hilco House - 49ers Whomp*It! Puppet



I love all these "Hard To Find" and odd promotional 49er team toys, all to gather the imagination of generations.  Thank you Gund, IHOP, Hilco House and others... you keep us collectors happy.  Please promotional manufactures; bring out more so we can start grabbing those things up for generations to come.

Go Niners ! ! !



No comments: