Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Extremely Rare 1940's 49ers Pennant


My New 1940's San Francisco Forty-Niners Pennant
When I saw this extremely rare 1940's font-styled pennant I was skeptical that it was truly a vintage 49ers and someone simply designed and manufactured a classic looking pennant.  I bought the pennant for $237.50 which was a pretty penny for something that I doubted truly existed.  After it showed up today, I was entirely blown away...it was (correction) IS real.  It's a true beauty of something I have NEVER seen and so glad I spent the money to add to my collection (17 oldies at the 49ers Museum at Levi's Stadium in San Jose).

How did I surmise that it's a 1940's pennant?
1)  The Uniform
The Typical 1940's Football Uniform
The pennant has a player wearing the leather helmet, Belt drawn pants with high & low thigh protectors and the 3/4 sleeved shirt with bold numbers and stripes around the bicep area.  It's a prototypical 1940's uniform (see photo above).


2) The Font Style
SAn fRAncisco foRty-nIneRs

I downloaded a 1940's font and typed in the wording from the pennant and I was surprised how close the font I downloaded and the font on the pennant were.  Pretty much a confirmation of a 1940's pennant.

All and all I'm very pleased with my new acquisition.  It's Awesome and will hang in my office at home until the Niner's Museum requests it.  (I like this font...pretty nostagic).
Go Niners ! ! !

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes you are correct, the pennant is a 40's pennant. But actually a AAFC pennant, as that style was only made for AAFC teams.

Marquezchance said...

Always like viewing the vintage photos of yesteryear. Thanks for sharing.